Force Multipliers for Retreat Groups
Monday, Dec 13, 2010
In the past 60 years military organizations of First World countries have often dominated their foes in combat because they've taken advantage of Force Multipliers. These are technologies or tactics that dramatically increase ("multiply") their combat effectiveness. These multipliers are typified by electronic communications, aerial bombardment, intelligence gathering, rapid troop transport, electronic warfare, force concentration, and the use of precision guided "smart" munitions.
Similarly, I suspect that in a post-collapse world, Constitutional law and order will best be reestablished by those who stand ready to employ force multipliers of their own. These will likely include:
- Uninterrupted radio communications to provide a rapid response security network. (I dubbed this The Neighborhood Watch on Steroids.)
- Night vision (Starlight) equipment.
- Flares. 26.5mm flare guns and Czech military surplus flares are presently fairly cheap and plentiful, but will become a precious commodity in TEOTWAWKI,. Stock up, especially on parachute flares to provide illumination that will give you the when defending ground at night.
- Human Intelligence (HUMINT). Know what is going on in your neighborhood and region. Keep informed, and always keep your ears open. Take advantage of existing social networks.
- Signals Intelligence (SIGINT). At the minimum, buy a couple of multi-band scanners. Having a spectrum analyzer that will allow you to visualize (and rapidly tune to) the spikes of your opponent's communications would be a huge plus.
- Long range weapons. In the civilian world, the .50 BMG is the clear choice for "Reach Out and Touch Someone" situations. Here in the U.S., .50 caliber is the bore diameter limit for military chamberings, unless you pay a $200 Federal transfer tax.
- Guerilla tactics. Acquire key reference books, such as Total Resistance, Guerrilla Strategies, and Guerilla
(by Charles W. Thayer).
- Legal explosives and flame weapons. To start, do web searches on Thermite and Tannerite. Depending on the situation, these can be used in less-than-lethal or lethal modes.
- Psychological Operations (PSYOPS). At the minimum, be prepared to use pamphleteering. Refrain from using heads on posts.
- Off-grid power. Develop photovoltaic and micro-hydro power so that you will have electricity, even when everyone else in your region is living by candlelight.
- Secure communications. Organized opponents may monitor CB, FRS, and GMRS communications, but using MURS or Marine Band can make interception less likely.
- Operational Security (OPSEC). Stay hunkered down at your retreat and what and you have, and what you are doing private.
- Cached food, fuel, and ammunition supplies. Stored food will give you the ability to avoid risky travel. Stored fuel will give you a mobility edge on your opponents, if and when you do travel. If you still have vehicles but your opponents are on foot, then you can "get there fustest, with the mostest."
Think through some likely situations and the force multipliers that you could prepare to employ. And, as always, avoid breaking the law. A Federal prison is a very bad place to be when TSHTF.
As you read my book "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" and as you work your way through the SurvivalBlog archives--best accomplished with the Search box--be sure take notes on potential force multipliers.
Once you have a list of force multipliers that are within your budget, then gather the references, lay in the tools and supplies, and finally practice the requisite skills.
Copyright 2005-2012 James Wesley, Rawles - SurvivalBlog.com All Rights Reserved