The SurvivalBlog Writing Contest
You Can Win Valuable Prizes!
SurvivalBlog has an ongoing non-fiction writing contest. The writers of the top three contributed articles in the next 60 days will receive prize packages with a combined value of more than $11,000:
- Gunsite Academy Three Day Course Certificate, good for any one, two, or three course (a $1,195 value),
- A course certificate from onPoint Tactical. This certificate will be for the prize winner's choice of three-day civilian courses. (Excluding those restricted for military or government teams.) Three day onPoint courses normally cost $795,
- Two cases of Mountain House freeze dried assorted entrees in #10 cans, courtesy of Ready Made Resources (a $350 value),
- A $300 gift certificate from CJL Enterprize, for any of their military surplus gear,
- A 9-Tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator from Safecastle.com (a $300 value),
- A $300 Gift Certificate from Freeze Dry Guy,
- A $250 gift certificate from Sunflower Ammo,
- A roll of $10 face value in pre-1965 U.S. 90% silver quarters, courtesy of GoldAndSilverOnline.com, (currently valued at around $225),
- Both VPN tunnel and DigitalSafe annual subscriptions from Privacy Abroad (a combined value of $195),
- KellyKettleUSA.com is donating both an AquaBrick water filtration kit and a Stainless Medium Scout Kelly Kettle Complete Kit with a combined retail value of $304,
- APEX Gun Parts is donating a $250 purchase credit, and
- TexasgiBrass.com is providing a $300 gift certificate.
- A gift certificate worth $1,000, courtesy of Spec Ops Brand,
- A Glock form factor SIRT laser training pistol and a SIRT AR-15/M4 Laser Training Bolt, courtesy of Next Level Training. Together, these have a retail value of $589.
- A FloJak EarthStraw “Code Red” 100 foot well pump system (a $500 value), courtesy of FloJak.com,
- $300 worth of ammo from Patriot Firearms and Munitions. (They also offer a 10% discount for all SurvivalBlog readers with coupon code SVB10P .),
- A $250 gift card from Emergency Essentials,
- A full set of all 26 books published by PrepperPress.com (a $270 value),
- Two cases of Meals, Ready to Eat (MREs), courtesy of CampingSurvival.com (a $180 value),
- EP Lowers, makers of 80% complete fiber composite polymer lowers for the AR-15 rifles, is donating a $250 gift certificate,
- Autrey's Armory -- specialists in AR-15, M4s, parts, and accessories is donating a $250 gift certificate,
- Dri-Harvestfoods.com in Bozeman, Montana is providing a prize bundle with Beans, Buttermilk Powder, Montana Hard Red Wheat, Drink Mixes, and White Rice, valued at $333,
- TexasgiBrass.com is providing a $150 gift certificate, and
- Organized Prepperis providing a $500 gift certificate.
- A Royal Berkey water filter, courtesy of Directive 21 (a $275 value),
- A large handmade clothes drying rack, a washboard, and a Homesteading for Beginners DVD, all courtesy of The Homestead Store, with a combined value of $206,
- Expanded sets of both washable feminine pads and liners, donated by Naturally Cozy (a $185 retail value),
- Two Super Survival Pack seed collections, a $150 value, courtesy of Seed for Security,
- A MURS Dakota Alert Base Station Kit with a retail value of $240 from JRH Enterprises,
- Mayflower Trading is donating a $200 gift certificate for homesteading appliances, and
- Ambra Le Roy Medical Products in North Carolina is donating a bundle of their traditional wound care and first aid supplies, with a value of $208.
- SurvivalBased.com is donating a $500 gift certificate to their store.
Round 51 of the writing contest ends on March 31, 2014
Writing Contest Rules:
To be eligible, an article must be an original work of at least 1,500 words.
You can write on any topic related to preparedness or survival that you think would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers. Again, to be eligible, an article must be an original work of at least 1,500 words. (2,500 to 4,000 words is ideal. Very long articles are allowed, but may be serialized, as the editors see fit.)
Be sure to thoroughly proofread your article, and have at least one friend or relative proofread it, as well!
All writings must be original works and the copyright will become the property of SurvivalBlog.
Once your article has been posted at SurvivalBlog, you cannot submit it elsewhere! Do not send us articles that you have already posted or submitted elsewhere!
Once your article has been posted at SurvivalBlog, the copyright belongs to SurvivalBlog. Similarly, if you've already submitted an article elsewhere, then do NOT submit it to SurvivalBlog unless you own (or have regained) full copyright and have the permission of any third party site(s).
We reserve the right to edit articles for length, grammar, spelling, punctuation and to excise any portions that are off-topic. We reserve the right to post only those articles that we deem “blogworthy.”
You can only be awarded one of the top three prizes once per year.
Articles that are promotional are not eligible for judging in the contest.
Articles may be written under pseudonyms.
Guesswork is not acceptable. Unless you have tried something yourself or actually seen something done successfully, then don't write suggesting that it "might work", or "should work." Nor can you recommend items that you've seen in catalog but have never tried. People's lives may depend on what you write, so be absolutely sure that what you write is trustworthy and authoritative!
Plagiarism is absolutely unacceptable!
You must submit only your own original work. Brief quotes from other works are acceptable, but only if quotation marks are used, and full attribution to the original author is given. Any plagiarism will be grounds to have your article removed and disqualified from the judging.
Special judging consideration will be given to the article with the most useful and detailed information on a practical skill that is applicable to a TEOTWAWKI situation.
Since SurvivalBlog is essentially “text only” for the convenience of readers that use mobile devices, please do not include illustrations with your article. (Although articles with URL links to images housed at your own web site for at least three subsequent years are acceptable.)
Eligibility: SurvivalBlog advertisers, prize donors, editors, and families of staff members are not eligible for the contest. First Prize winners are not eligible for subsequent awards until two years have elapsed. Second Prize and Third Prize winners are not eligible for subsequent awards until one year has elapsed. Honorable Mention prize winners are still eligible for all prizes in subsequent rounds!
You can submit as many articles as you'd like.
So start writing, ladies and gents! You can submit as many articles as you'd like for judging.
Please submit your articles only in RTF, MS-Word, AppleWorks, HTML, or plain text format, via e-mail. (Please do not send articles in .wps, or .pdf, thanks!)
James Wesley, Rawles
Senior SurvivalBlog Editor
Congratulations to the Winners of Previous Rounds of the Contest:
- Round 1: B.H. in Spokane, for his article titled “On Preparing Your Children”, which was posted on October 24, 2005.
- Round 2: “EMT J.N.” who wrote the article: “Getting Your Group to Buy In: The $20 Medical Kit” which was posted on January 13, 2006
- Round 3: K.A.D., for his article titled: “Defending Your Home: An Outline of Security for Troubled Times” which was posted on March 28, 2006.
- Round 4: Northwest Huey, for his article titled: “Using Rechargable Batteries” which was posted on May 28, 2006.
- Round 5: TruthFirst, for his article titled: “How to Build an Inertial Well Slow Pump for Grid Down Emergencies” which was posted on July 31, 2006.
- Round 6: R.E.M., for his article titled: “Maximizing Food Storage Life” which was posted on September 26, 2006.
- Round 7: SF in Hawaii, for his article titled: “Wheat Sprouts and Wheatgrass as Survival Foods” which was posted on November 6, 2006.
- Round 8: JLM, for his article titled: “Gardens For the Future” which was posted on January 26, 2007.
- Round 9: E.C.W., MD, for her article: “Wound Care: An Emergency Room Doctor's Perspective” which was posted on February 24, 2007.
- Round 10: “Grandpappy” for his article “How to Harvest, Process, and Store Vegetable Seeds” which was posted on May 11, 2007.
- Round 11: John O. MD for his article “Survival Labor and Delivery” which was posted on July 10, 2007.
- Round 12: “Polar Bear” for his article “Converting Diesel Vehicles to Run on Waste Vegetable Oil” which was posted on September 10, 2007.
- Round 13: “LP” for his article “Preparedness While on Business Travel --What to Pack” which was posted on November 24, 2007.
- Round 14: J. Britely for his article “Prepare or Die” which was posted on January 30, 2008.
- Round 15: Paul C., for his article “My Seven Favorite North American Edible Wild Plants” which was posted on March 25, 2008.
- Round 16: KLK for her article “How To Prepare for Radiation Emergencies”, which was posted on May 16, 2008.
- Round 17: Thomas G., for his article “The Tomato Rebuild--Machining Technology is Crucial to Modern Society”, which was posted July 16, 2008.
- Round 18: Terry B., for his article “How To Make Den-Type Game Traps”, which was posted August 27, 2008.
- Round 19: Carolyn W., for her article “Gardening and Seed Saving” which was posted on November 28, 2008.
- Round 20: George S. for his lengthy article “Field Gear on a Shoestring Budget” which was posted on January 12, 2009.
- Round 21: Dr. K. for his two part article: “TEOTWAWKI Medicine and Minor Surgery” which was posted on March 24 and March 26, 2009.
- Round 22: Mike U., for his article “Unconventional Wisdom for CCW Permit Holders”, which was posted on May 19th, 2009.
- Round 23: Mike S., for his article “GPS for Day-to-Day Use and Survival”, which was posted on July 14th, 2009.
- Round 24: Old Dog in Alaska, for his article “Grub and Gear--Lessons Learned from an Alaskan Trapper”, which was posted on September 22nd, 2009.
- Round 25: InfoRodeo for his article “The Dumpster List”, which was posted on October 31st, 2009.
- Round 26: Lin for her article “Feeding Your Family Well During Hard -- and Harder -- Times”, which was posted on December 9th, 2009.
- Round 27 : Dan in Oklahoma for his four part article: “The Home Foundry, Metal Casting”, that was posted in February, 2010
- Round 28: C.F., for “A Southwesterner's Experience in Family Preparedness”, which was posted on April 2nd, 2010.
- Round 29: Old Dog in Wisconsin for “Getting My Lists Together”, posted on July 15th, 2010.
- Round 30: Nomad Medic for “Dealing With Diarrhoeal Diseases”, posted on September. 26th, 2010.
- Round 31: T.K. for Bugout Base Camp: “My Solar School Bus”, posted on November 15, 2010.
- Round 32: J.E. for “Preparing for the Aftermath--Lessons from the 1930s”, posted on December 24, 2010.
- Round 33: K.M. for “What is a Well-Stocked First Aid Kit?”, posted on March 15, 2011.
- Round 34: J.B. in Montana for “Preparing Kids for Disasters”, posted on May 28, 2011.
- Round 35: R.B. for “The Will to Act: Your Ultimate Bug-out Kit”, posted on July 30, 2011.
- Round 36: David J. for “Small Scale Alternative Energy in Suburbia”, posted on September 22, 2011.
- Round 37: Paul B., for “Staple Foods Storage By The Numbers”, posted on November 10, 2011.
- Round 38: A.A.A, for “Barter, Post-TEOTWAWKI: The Micro Store” posted on December 22, 2011.
- Round 39: Jim B., for “The Extreme Solar Still Concept” posted on March 31, 2012.
- Round 40: Barefoot Yankee Gal for “Kitchen Cupboard Medicine”, posted on April 3, 2012
- Round 41: Dr. Moutaintop for “The ABCs of Trauma”, posted on July 29, 2012.
- Round 42: Dan in Alabama for “Make Your Own Retort Style Charcoal”, posted on September 19, 2012.
- Round 43: D.A., DVM for “A Veterinarian's Perspective on Prepper Medicine”, by D.A., DVM, posted on November 6, 2012.
- Round 44: T.S.H., MD for “Field Care For Your Newborn”, posted on December 20, 2012.
- Round 45: Lockstich for “Industrial Sewing Machines for Prepared Families”, posted on February 8, 2013.
- Round 46: Steven in Alabama for “When Bugging Out is Not an Option: Hunkering Down with a Quadriplegic”, posted on May 24, 2013.
- Round 47: Sophie for “Prepping the Texas Cowboy Way”, posted on July 12, 2013.
- Round 48: Tennessean for “Protection from Radioactive Fallout”, posted on September 12, 2013.
- Round 49: TX ER DOC, for So, “You Bought Fish Antibiotics. Now What?”, posted on November 20, 2013.
- Round 50: Mountain Top Patriot for “Want to Raise Pigs?”, posted on January 1, 2014.